COUNTY LEASH LAWS
Ordinance No. 88-4
Franklin County, Florida
An ordinance relating to the regulation, licensing, vaccination, confinement and disposal of cats and dogs.
SECTION 1. DEFINITIONS: As used in this Ordinance the following terms mean:
RESTRAINT: A dog or cat shall be considered under restraint if it is confined within the real property limits of its owner or secured by a leash or load or under voice control of a responsible person.
NUISANCE: An Animal shall be considered a nuisance if it, damages, soils, defiles or defecates on private property other than the owner’s or on public walks and recreation areas unless such waste is immediately removed and properly disposed of by the owner; causes a disturbance by excessive barking or other noise making; or chases vehicles; or molests, attacks, or interferes with persons or other domestic animals on public property.
SECTION 3. OWNER RESPONSIBILITY:
- a) All dogs shall be kept under restraint in any property zoned residential or commercial.
- c) No animal shall be allowed to cause a nuisance. The owner of every dog or cat shall be held responsible for every behavior of such dog or cat under the provisions of this ordinance.
- e) Failure to comply with the provisions of this section shall be deemed a 2nd degree misdemeanor and punished according to law.
SECTION 4. IMPOUNDMENT
- a) Any dog found running at large may be impounded by the Franklin County Animal Control Authority in an animal shelter and confined in a humane manner.
- GEORGE ISLAND STATE PARK:
No cats allowed. Dogs allowed only in the parking areas. Dogs must be attended at all times. Dogs cannot go on the beach, boardwalks, buildings or camp areas. Rangers will write tickets for violations.
SUBDIVISIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS:
St. George Plantation, Sunset Beach, 300 Ocean Mile, Villas of St. George and other areas governed by owners’ associations have specific rules and guidelines regarding pets.
NOTE: The above information is not the complete county
ordinance and is subject to change at any time without notice.